Monday, December 13, 2010

As The Belly Grows ...

As the belly grows things get interesting ...

Patients start asking "are you pregnant?" They get all upset when you say yes and they respond with "why didn't you tell me?" Well, for one thing, while most of the female patients are excited and smiley there are some patients who have a decrease in confidence in you as a doctor. Being pregnant is the highest of the female tasks and while female chiropractors are gaining more headway as great doctors it brings us right back to the beginning when patients associate the doctor with pregnancy. Most of patient's concerns deal with the physical side of adjusting. Let me address that right now ... while it will become more difficult to adjust with 1-2 feet of belly sticking out in front of me, you would never say anything to that 350lb male chiropractor down the street! I'm sure his belly is just as big (or larger) than mine will be. From large amounts of research I have found that most pregnant chiropractors are fine adjusting all the way up until they give birth. The only thing that may hold them back is energy level. I am looking forward to working right until I pop! Being at the office adjusting patients is like a great workout that lasts all day. I am expecting it to prepare me for labor.

Another interesting side is the amount of movement you can feel. It hits you at the strangest time, like when you are taking notes on a new patient, or when you are doing some myofascial (muscle) work, or when you are on the phone and boom! that internal belly poke. While I love the constant reminder the baby is in there it's hard not to act distracted when it catches you off guard. Kinda funny actually when I have to explain to my NEW patient what's really going on. Oh the joys!


No comments:

Post a Comment