Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Healthy Pregnancy

So many people have asked me how my pregnancy is going and when I state really well they think I am lying. I have taken great care and focus into this pregnancy. I have not taken it as a license to just "eat or do whatever" like mothers sometimes do. I took this as an opportunity to grow the best life I can. It hasn't been easy, but I believe in the end it will be completely worth it.

A Couple Things I Keep in Mind Every Day:
Protein - I can't begin to say how important it is to keep the amount of protein I eat above 80 grams. It is hard to consume that much. In the beginning of the pregnancy I was full so easily and all it felt like i was eating was protein. I have discovered pure protein isolate mixed with goat milk yogurt or with powdered greens has provided a great way to get it all in there.
Sugars - Keeping the amount of refined sugars minimal to none. I save my sweets for moments when they are REALLY wanted. Which is my normal when I wasn't pregnant. I love sweets! I turn to coconut milk ice cream, fruit, and every once and a while some gluten free baked goods.
Vitamin D - The importance of this vitamin is so high. It changes everything from preterm birth to gestational diabetes to infection. The recommended does is from 4,000-6,000 IUs/day.
DHA - You are not only growing a human, but growing a brain! That new brain needs DHA. These are found in fish oils, but adding some specific DHA by itself it also a good idea. There are also companies that make flavored ones (strawberry and orange) to help with the indigestion.

All of this put together has brought me to where I am today. Healthy at 22 weeks with no sickness and no excess weight gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment