Monday, January 24, 2011

Still Amazed

So I am not sure if this happens to all my female chiropractic friends or if I am the only one with the privilege of these interactions ...

I was standing in line today at a grocery store picking up some food for lunches in the office. The lady behind me saw my name tag and it says "Dr. Dara" on it. She said "Oh, your a doctor, you're so young. What are you a doctor of?" I began to inform the lady that I was a chiropractor over on the other side of town and I was on my way to work. She came back with "I didn't know there were such a thing as female chiropractors". I was so distraught with that comment that I came back with, "Why yes they do, we are quicker, gentler, and smarter. And they also let us get pregnant" as I pointed to my belly (which would have been funnier if I was bigger and didn't just look like a fat lady right now). She smiled and said "good for you, I hope your baby is ok".

Haha Being pregnant is not a handicap. Not taking care of yourself during pregnancy is. The physical activity of my job is possible because I take care of myself and my baby inside. I pay close attention and take breaks as needed. I have to say that adjusting people all day is far less strenuous than the physical 30-60 minute workout I do 3-6 days a week.

I love my job and I love that women are such a great part of chiropractic.

(Picture to the left is me adjusting a young man in Brazil who said his pain was so bad he "didn't want to live anymore" ... no pressure!)

1 comment:

  1. That was a hilarious experience, Dr. Dara! In my belief, anyone can be a chiropractor as long as you have gentle hands, knowledge and of course, most importantly, a heart for the job. Anyway, how's the young man in Brazil doing? I was shocked after I read he "didn't want to live anymore".

    Gwen Knight

    ReplyDelete