Tuesday, October 9, 2012

International Babywearing Week 2012

This week is International Babywearing Week so I thought I would write a little post on what babywearing has meant to me as a doctor and a mother. Babywearing was not a word I was familiar with until 2008. Before that I knew my mother wore me during walks and when she cleaned the house or when we went to the zoo. It was in a backpack style carrier (which now we know aren't safe for little ones hips).

I didn't know it had a phrase or following until 2008 when I had a patient come into my office named Paige and her daughter Maddi. Paige answered all my questions, and as a doctor who dealt with pediatrics I had plenty of them. Babywearing and all it encompassed passed my doctor approved activities. At the time I was not a mother (despite the on and off battle Brian and I were having with trying to conceive), but I knew that when the day came I would be in the market for a carrier (or twelve) of my own. ;)

Before my daughter Kyla was even born I had 3 different carriers ready to try out and couldn't wait for the opportunity. Kyla was 9 days late (go figure!) and she ended up in the NICU for a couple days pending some tests and observation (she was completely fine). I would have worn her out of the hospital if they let me, but they didn't. She was wrapped within 5 minutes of being home. I wore her tons during those first few months to bring back the bond I lost during those first few days. Here is a picture of Kyla the second day home.

Last year during IBW 2011 Kyla was extra fussy and I wrapping her was the only sure fire way to get a nap out of her. I ended up wearing her while adjusting 12 patients in a row. I considered this a score for multiple reasons ... 1. A NAP!! Yay! 2. Patients being understanding. I couldn't believe the compliance I received from them ALL! Amazing how in my line of work I can make people feel better while comforting my child at the same time. This is a picture of us after that long day about a year ago.

Can't wait for this weeks IBW. With a photo shoot and a flash mob, I'm sure we can spread awareness to even more families and patients ;)

3 comments:

  1. nice post, In case of an accident, the person does not pay until the insurance does. We have discounted plans for people who pay cash. Dr. Leon Berkowitz is a licensed Chiropractor in Arlington VA who provides services, Call: 703.582.3817

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm a chiropractic student in Malaysia and your writings has inspired me! I really wish to know more about how you cope with your family and things and also being a chiropractor! Please write more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Cheryl March.Nice to hear that you are studying in chiropractic in Malaysia .Actually chiropractic is nowadays become popular all over the world.I am also inspired in reading this articles.I want to learn chiropractic and several times I am visiting local chiropractor and asking many questions.

    ReplyDelete